Friday, April 19, 2013

BAM!

April 12, 2013. Today we had a volunteer come in and do a training on making didactic materials with limited resources. It was pretty amazing. We brainstormed tons of ideas from what to do with bottle caps, to charla paper, to bodies, to solamente a chalkboard (and more!). We then were able to make a few things so we could have something in hand to take to our sites. I now have a set of laminated flash cards with the lower case alphabet on one side and the upper case on the other, a vowel set made out of sand paper (for finger tracing), and a bit of homemade play dough. Win! It was so incredible to be able to be crafty again :). I can't wait to do more when I get to my site with random things I find or salvage!
Raini mentioned briefly at the end that this will be good for us for our pull-outs on Tuesday. But then gave no other details. As I was leaving, I asked if there were certain criteria for Tuesday and she then told me that we would have a group of 4-5 kids for the first hour and another for the second hour. So we had to plan for that and the child we tested Thursday was about the level of all of kids we would have. Um... I'm glad I asked then since Monday would have left no time to plan with Susan. Annoyed and frustrated but that's okay. Well figure it out. And they'll probably change the plans on Monday anyways. Haha
Lunch, Spanish, and the rains. What else is new? Volleyball? Nope, that's routine now too and I love it :). Oh! I got something new. After dinner I went to shower. The toilet seat was down so I lifted and BAM! A freaking frog jumped out of it! Like a damn Jack-in-the-Box. And ya'll know I hate those! Haha I ran out in my towel to get my camera so I could share with Jake but of course, it was gone when I returned. Though I had three people then in the bathroom with me looking for it while I was in my towel hahaha. I wonder how often they think to themselves as they shake their heads, "Those damn Americans." O:)
Us volunteers then had a night out, and boy was it needed. I got dressed, put money in my shorts, and the proceeded to change my shorts before I left. Which means, no money haha. Go me! Nate called as we were walking to the house we were having the get-together at. We chatted as a few of us drank chocolate milk on the corner since the party ended up being a no-chocolate-milk-zone. I miss him. Anyways, I may or may not have left after five minutes to get another milk and drank it on a bench with a few others while we played stupid games. We then ended up at a pretty empty bar (?) and chatted and played pool. Felt like Geneseo again! But a Dominican version? Lol I think I'm getting worse at writing these blogs...
My Doña might be upset with me.... I got home at 11:30pm. I had asked if there was an hour she would like me home and she said whenever... But it may have been one of those times where I needed to read her body language because her words weren't what she really felt. :/ feeling bad but also feeling good because I got to relax, drink, play pool, and hang out with my friends... Ugh. What a mix. But maybe I can sleep in tomorrow?? ;) Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment