Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Almuerzo Doesn't Exist!

April 2, 2913. There's gotta be a way to drown out the roosters. I gotta figure out a way. I was up for good at around 3am but I managed to stay awake today. I walked out of my room to two grown men in the house (found out they were her sons haha) and had a cheese and jamon sandwich for breakfast (what is up with that??). We met at the center at 8 and just did some collective stuff to start our journey (pictures below are the view from our box at the training center, the stadium, and the mountains in the distance! And the view of the street from my bedroom window). We then split into two groups to visit two different schools. My group took motos to the first school and I was mushed between the driver and Jimmy haha. I felt much more safe there then being the one in the back with two people in front of me.
The first school was pretty incredible. Or at least, not what I expected. The classroom size wasn't too bad, noise is probably an issue, they have some funding from a university so they actually have a computer lab and a library and nurses office. And the preschool? Oh my god, nearly perfection (from the first glance). Every corner of the rooms were dedicated to a center (dramatic play, building blocks, art, music, etc) and they had calendar time! Haha. And it's amazing what incredible things can be made in a playground with tires. Apparently this school is a model school (exactly what is written in the constitution for what schools need to be like) so it's understandable but I was left wondering, what are we doing here?
The second school was basically the same. Granted, it was much bigger so the student numbers in each class was larger. They even had a classroom in a bus because they didn't have enough space! But they had a huge gym, they offered breakfast, lunch, and dinner to those students who come from poorer families, and a beautiful project room. This is also a public school (as are all in Monte Plata) but it is funded by a Catholic organization so they're somewhat private. Honestly, all I got out of that tour was the last lady who said, "Everyone knows Spanish, I hope? Because the young kids don't know any English and they're not the best at Spanish yet, either." Cool. Thanks lady. And again, what are we doing here?
We are going to get separated into groups of four or five people and sent to different schools to work at in these next few weeks starting Thursday (!!). These were just glimpses of two schools but there are 3 others that we could be sent to. I'm nervous about my Spanish but also because I'm not sure what I can offer (at least at those two schools anyways). None of us even know what we're supposed to be doing in the schools yet... So hopefully to start it'll just be observation.
We finished up around noon and headed home for lunch (which will be a 2 hour break everyday!). I had pasta, tostinos, rice, beans, a banana, and vegetable salad waiting for me (Soooo much food. And totally learned in Spanish class today that here, the word I had learned in high school for lunch-almuerzo-doesn't exist here. Despite that being the biggest meal of the day. What??). My host mom introduced me as "my daughter" to a neighbor today :). I liked that a lot... Andrea, Dallas, and I then met at 1 to just hang out and chat before Spanish.
From 2-5pm everyday we have Spanish class. It went well but I do miss Marcia. Daniel is kind but I had to work to get him out of his shell and loosen up a bit haha. He did, though I think he may have been laughing at me the entire time :P
Ivette and I finished our power point for our presentation on Thursday and I headed home around 6:30. We talked about starting to run together so I hope that happens soon!
For dinner, I had a fried egg with onions, potatoes mashed up, and yuca (?). My water had ants in it so I didn't drink it. That's happened on numerous occasions now so I'm already getting used to checking my drinks or the sugar before consuming. I showered (my host mom almost walked in on me naked when she thought I needed more water) in the water with floating pieces of lord-only-knows-what (which is totally the water I brush my teeth with) and watched more novellas with her. Samuel (a volunteer) stopped by and we chatted a bit. I really feel like I'm improving already with my Spanish. There are moments when my Dona and I don't talk at all but none of them have felt awkward. But then when we do talk, I mostly understand her and she seems to understand me. In these short, last two days, I feel like I've conversed better with her than I ever did with my first host mother. I feel braver? I think? Hopefully that's not an illusion in the midst of this heat but I'll enjoy it either way.
Now it is time for bed as its already waaay past my bedtime (9:53pm!!). I think I may stop by Sarah's place tomorrow since she has wifi so I can at least let my family and friends know that I'm okay and that I won't have Internet everyday like I thought (and, of course, to update this!). Buenas noches.







No comments:

Post a Comment