Wednesday, April 3, 2013

With The End of A Month Comes...

March 31, 2013. March 31? Wow. Just a little less than a month ago, I arrived here bright eyed and terrified. And while it feels like I've been here for at least two months, I also can't believe a month has gone by already. Such a strange feeling. And it's Easter back at home. Jake probably slept in Sam's room and woke her up way too early. Around 8:30, maybe 9, they knocked on the wall to wake my parents up. They found their eggs filled with change (except for that silent one!) and baskets filled with sweets, ate a ton of candy (how does the chocolate taste, Momma??), and re-watched the morning's comedy show that was the hunt. My parents probably left carrot pieces trailing out to the deck so that my brother could look in awe at what a mess the Easter bunny left. Hard-boiled eggs have been colored beautifully and today some will be broken and eaten. Later, dinner at my grandma's with my crazy cousins and more food than you can imagine. Happy Easter to my family and friends back home. I missed you today but am sending my love with the big guy upstairs. Hopefully he's not too busy to send it up to you.
Today I had my cheese sandwich, started packing for the next adventure, and played cards with Paola. I actually attempted to teach her Set! It went pretty well and she seems to get the idea but has the normal confusions of a beginner. I enjoyed it and I hope she did too! Lol.
After, we ate lunch and I didn't finish what was given to me. My host mom went on and on about how I'm already skinny and it's going to get worse when I'm in the campo lol. I was full! And when it's all rice and beans and chicken, I get full faster! :P Oh well.
I laid down for a bit with the door shut and tried to sleep. Naturally, I failed, with my head bringing in thoughts from every corner of my mind. Things from here, from home, from the past, present, future, or things that don't even exist. Crazy. But then it started to rain. What a glorious sound. I got up and stuck my hand out my window just to feel it on my skin. I don't know why I love the rain so much. But it was calming, and the smell reminded me of home.
Around 2:30pm, my host mother's sister and her daughter came over. Awkward introductions were followed by me awkwardly eating a mango that was brought (which I clumsily dropped on the table cuz it was slippery and had to keep pulling the strings out of my teeth) while my host mother's sister drilled me with questions (and also told me something in mangoes is good for going to the bathroom lol). Had I ever been here before? What is my mission? Where am I going for five weeks starting tomorrow and where will I be for the next two years? What Spanish level am I at? How old am I? Do I have a boyfriend? Can she see a picture of him? What about siblings? And my parents, cousins, etc? Where in New York did I live? On and on. To be honest, it was overwhelming but I actually got to talk. I know I didn't talk well but I did it. I was engaged, interacting, and they at least understood what I was trying to say. I showed her pictures of my whole family, Nate, the beach I went to, the caves, and Monte Bonita. She asked if I liked it here. Well, of course! And for the first time, my host mother was the one to repeat things or explain them in different ways so I could understand. She was very helpful.
Paola and her cousin went to a pool somewhere (if I'm not mistaken, they live close by but I'm not sure I understood her). When my host mom's sister went to look at the pollitos outside, I went in my room to use the bathroom. When I came back out, they had gone into the bedroom to watch TV. Oops? Oh well. I had enjoyed most of the afternoon alone anyways so I figured I'd enjoy some more.
Then- Habichuelas con dulce! I was told that every single family in the DR (pretty much) makes habichuelas con dulce for Semana Santa. My host mother had only made chaca which was with corn so I wasn't sure if she was going to make it. But she did! And hers was definitely the best I've had so far (I had it at the training center and at another volunteer's house). Go Carmen.
I spent more time alone and loved it. My host mom's sister left and wished me well. After a bit, I worked up the courage to ask Paola if I could watch TV with her. We watched Fear Factor Blind Date haha. Goodness I love the voice-overs. I feel like it's good practice because I also have a visual of what's going on for when I'm at a loss with the words.
I then had macaroni and cheese for dinner! Mmmmm.. This time I ate everything :) Paola said she begged her mom for it at La Sirena last time they were there haha. Sounds like my siblings! She ate a ton of it and we just talked about how good it was the whole time :P
We finished up, watched the rest of Fear Factor, played another round of Set, and watched the adults play Dominoes. I finally gave up and said my goodbyes (for the next 5 weeks).
Tomorrow marks the end of a month and the beginnings of a new day, a new month, a new training center, a new family, and a new home. Here's to believing things will continue to get better - Cheers/Saludos! Buenas noches.
(Addition: My family called tonight. I made it through without tears (with some serious effort) until my munchkin comes back on the phone towards the end and says, "Julie? I'm sorry you didn't have Easter. You know, I could send you some money. I got a lot from the Easter bunny today." My little 7 year old brother was willing to send me some of the money he got today... I have the best family in the entire world. I love you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment