Monday, April 1, 2013

Where The Hell Is Matt?

March 28, 2013. I got to talk to Nate last night!! I thought I had missed him because of the movie but he called at midnight! Yay!
Haha oh! I also can't believe I forgot to tell you about a video we watched yesterday! "Where the hell is Matt?" I think it's called. It's a video where this kid Matt is dancing in a ton of different places in the world. It starts out with just him in the midst of gorgeous scenery, a cool building, etc just doing a funky dance and the name of the place is at the bottom. After like 10 of those, suddenly he's dancing with people in more different places. Some are kids, some adults, some young adults, some in groups of just 2 or 3 and some in huge groups, some dancing his dance, some doing their own thing around him. I just cannot tell you how beautiful it was. It was only about 4 minutes long so please, Youtube it if you can. And though it was only 4 minutes and nothing else happened but people dancing, it was beautiful. It just shows that language isn't everything. All you need is joy, love, and a goofy dance to connect with people from anywhere in the world. We're not all that different after all. :D
At 8 am, we started our day with an optional Creole session. A Volunteer came in and has been studying it on his own and one of his goals here is to become completely conversational. It's pretty awesome. There are so many Haitians all over the country and they just completely perk up if you speak some.. So long as it's in private though; the racism here is pretty awful :/. The language is fascinating, phonetic, and fairly easy. Much easier than Spanish! I took some notes so I can at least have something in case there are Haitians in my community, but I can't forget that I'm still far from mastering my Spanish lol
After that, we got our assessment grades. I passed! Woo!
Next was CBT stuff. We learned a bit about what we need to do during the first three months at our site. It's called a Community Diagnostic and there are many ways in which it's done. Most of my time, however, will be spent porch sittin' coffee drinkin' :).
Then! Half day! And I got mail today!!! My family sent me my Set game (in an ADORABLE pouch my mother made!), my camera cord, and letters! Oh I was soooo happy! It upsets me though because I want to respond to each letter individually but stamps are expensive in proportion to the money I have... Money stressed me out in the states and now? All I want it for is to send a few letters... But it's too much. Blech. Moving on! We did get to Skype and I saw my mom and munchkin's face briefly though! We had to turn off the video though so the sound could be better and my sister and grandmother were there too! Naturally, I started crying. I just hadn't heard my Gram's voice yet since I've been here. And with my dream about my munchkin last night, hearing his voice was like heaven. They made me talk a little in Spanish, of course, and though the internet was choppy, it was wonderful. Such a mix of emotions afterwards though... I miss them.
After, I worked on Prezi presentation with Ivette for next Thursday but now I have no idea what I'm doing... Haha seriously, so confused. And having no Internet to look it up sucks.
I got home by 1:30 and my host mom had pasta for me (totally having pasta tonight at the party lol). Sona talked a lot and fast but I eventually caught on to her talking about how beautiful Venezuela is and how she loves to travel. I wanted to ask her more about where she's been but I really didn't have the words... And I was nervous to ask because of how lost I feel with her most of the time. Lol
I wasn't sure about going to the party last night. I was just out the night before for the movie and I felt bad but I really want to hang out with everyone, especially since we're getting split up soon. I decided to go and just come back at 7 so it wouldn't be too late. I'll be with my host family all day tomorrow so hopefully it'll be okay. I told my mom there's a party tonight but it's short and I'll be home by 7pm. She just laughed and said, "Whatever you want to do is fine." Lol The party was great and the surprise totally worked. It had been Caitlin's birthday last week and her husband set this whole party up for her. She cried a little, I loved it lol. I did stay a little past 7 but I figured hey, I'm on Dominican time, right? My host mom seemed fine when I got home around 9 but she had dinner waiting for me on the table. She asked if I had eaten and I said yes and that I was sorry. Of course, she said it was fine. I wish I could read her better since I'm told Dominicans don't always say what they really feel...
Anyways, until tomorrow, buenas noches al mundo.

No comments:

Post a Comment