Thursday, March 28, 2013

Oz, The Powerful!

March 27, 2013. Today was our first Spanish assessment with role playing. It went well! And was kind of fun! Our team rocked it though with clapping and getting excited for each other; soo gonna miss us in CBT although Maegan and I will still be together :D. I know I passed but the teachers graded waaay too easily lol. Oh well! I'll take a passing grade!
Next, we played Jeopardy as a review game for our next test. The two teams ended up tying which was crazy! But we all won muffins :) I didn't feel as good about that test and blanked on the regions of the DR and their characteristics. There were 50 questions and you have to get an 80% to pass though so hopefully I didn't do that horribly. Well find out tomorrow!
We had a longer break with lunch and I actually got to Skype with Jen! It was so wonderful to see her face and hear her voice! And, of course, get to talk to Rebel :D. I then tried with my parents but with the Internet being slow and such, we missed out. Told them I would be on at 4 but then we didn't have Internet :( that got to me a little... Sorry momma.
After, we had our CBT talk. I will admit, I'm a little nervous about switching host families... I don't really want to leave Paola and my host mom since I'm really just starting to feel comfortable with them... And they are just so wonderful, especially Paola. I won't nearly be as spoiled as I am here and may have a latrine. Electricity will probably be harder to come by and I may have to take bucket showers. Also, a door with a lock isn't promised there like it is here (so doorway with a curtain, probably) and many of the families have never had a volunteer before... Kind of wishing my Spanish was better so I don't give them a bad first impression of Americans. And kind of wishing I had a laptop so I can steal movies from some other volunteers to watch because my iPad wont read my external hardrive :/.
But enough of the negatives! We will be in schools throughout this training and I'm doing a talk with a small group of us on Thursday of our first week. All of us will be in one barrio (neighborhood) so we won't be far away from each other at all. We can run there and our PCVL said she only runs for like 20 minutes and isn't very good but would love company... Perfect! We will also have much more of Spanish classes everyday which of course, is phenomenal (gonna miss Marcia since she's not my teacher anymore but! She'll still be there!) And knowing now how happy I get when we talk about education, I will hopefully feel that everyday since that's what CBT is all about! Woo! Puedo hacerlo.
After training and realizing I didn't have internet, we planned things for this weekend since we only have a half day tomorrow and then the rest of the weekend is free for Semana Santa. So far, on Saturday, we are going to see caves! I'm sooo excited! I walked home and got running hugs from Delmar and one of Paola's friends :D. That felt incredible. We played a few games of cards (again, totally lost as to what we played) and I told my host mom that a few of us were going to the movies. Originally I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but a few of the people going aren't in my CBT group so I won't see them for 5 weeks. :( So I went. And I'm so happy I did! My host mom made me a sandwich and I met up with them. It was quite an adventure! We nearly died on the way there (see picture below) and our driver got out of the car to fight with the driver of the bus in the middle of the road. Haha times when I wish I was fluent. We saw Oz, The Powerful (not gonna lie, totally felt empowered after the movie :P), and it was in English!! With Spanish subtitles. I had to pinch myself at first because the previews were in Spanish and I knew that couldn't be me becoming fluent in 20 minutes haha. It was a great movie! So beautiful and funny and emotional and wonderful. I may or may not have stolen my 3D glasses as well :). They were cool looking! Anyways, we got back safely and within PC policies and my host mom and sister were still up watching TV so I didn't have to knock on the window to wake them. Phew! Still feel bad if they were waiting up for me but my host mother insisted that it was okay :). Love them..
To all, you're crazy for reading these but I love you for it. Thank you and buenas noches.



1 comment:

  1. Pascua feliz a usted Julie!!! la paz y el amor --Carlos (Isla de Grande!!)

    ReplyDelete