Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Si puedes escucharme, aplausa una vez

March 18, 2013. This morning I had platanos maduros y salami. So much starch in those platanos and first thing in the morning? Ay Dios mio. I only ate one and left my other one :/ lol Training in the morning was learning all about diversity in the DR in regards to us as well as within the Dominican people. Four different volunteers of varying ethnicities, race, and sexual orientations came and talked to us about their experiences. It was definitely interesting and eye-opening to what they have to deal with. I'll just have to deal with Americana so I can't complain much. What seems to be a pattern here, though, is having to accept all that is around you and learn to brush things off. There is a time and place to bring up things that are hurtful to you, but mostly, ignore and smile. For two years? Yikes, but boy do I give these volunteers props. We then learned about how the Dominicans feel about themselves and the history behind it all. So fascinating and a bit sad. It's amazing that we all can be so similar in ways (though for different reasons). We look at our models in the states and think we need to be skinnier, prettier, etc and they do the same thing and think they need to be a certain color, have certain features, and be a certain "bonita." The diversity within the people here is vast and, I think what makes these people so incredibly beautiful; they, however, feel otherwise...
During one of the breaks, I also learned that one of the volunteers is probably just as homesick as I am. It was mentioned in passing and this person admitted that everyone else seems to fine but he/she is struggling. I may or may not have attack hugged them, which I hope was okay, but of course told them to call me anytime. I just wish we had more minutes a month. We had pizza (Pause! It's finally raining!! Ah! I wish I could run outside in it!! Damnit this sucks haha but the sound is like music to my ears right now :D ) for lunch which was okay. Not the same as home haha.
Afterwards, we had Spanish all afternoon. We learned all about different articles of clothing, stores, and how to bargain. Yes, Mom! I'm going to have to start bargaining!! Ah!! Maybe I'll get so good at it here, that you'll be asking me to do it at garage sales at home FOR you! Muahaha. I'm gonna master this even if it's the only thing I accomplish here ;).
At 3:15, I had my technical training (training in Education; the Community & Economic Development have separate training) interview. This was basically just to meet with our technical trainer and discuss any worries, expectations, and ways in which we could help during our Community Based Training time. I had ranked all the objectives that we had based on Dominican education system. So basically, all our my responses were 1s which meant I knew nothing about them. She sat me down and said, "Julie. You are my expert and I need you. When you filled this out, were you being modest or...?" I was confused until I realized I was supposed to answer them based on my knowledge and experience in the states! That changed my perspective big time. I re-did that sheet haha. She reiterated that she is so excited to have me and wants me to help with the training classes, teach a few topics, and will be making me one of the leaders within my training group. Ah!! This felt AMAZING but oh god the pressure is on. She said she already has big plans for me to solely work in one school during CBT (which will be in Monte Plata in two weeks-ish?), develop relationships with the teachers and students, and be able to report back with things that are good and things that could be helped. She said with my personality, from what she's seen so far, that I am going to breeze through these next years when it comes to this. Again, AHHH! I need to master my Spanish NOW. And as if my head wasn't full enough with constantly learning new words and trying to translate EVERYTHING (sorry about all the caps, I'm super excited and scared), I now am trying to rack my brain for everything I learned in college and in student teaching. I wish I had all my stuff with me! There just seems to be this really high expectation of me (and I had NO idea!) and lordy I cannot let them down. She also said she set me up with one of the best education volunteers for my PCV visit this weekend. She had matched us all with some things in mind but made sure that she and I were together because she said it's an absolutely perfect fit! Can't wait to meet her! Oh! I almost forgot! Of course I had not having enough Spanish fluency as a concern of mine. She took out a worksheet with the letter Dd on it and various words starting with Dd, phonetics, sentences, and handwriting practice. She goes, can you read some of this? I read it all.... And she goes that's all you need to help these kids. The best part about this project is its goal of sustainability. So if I come in, teach everything by myself and leave after two years, will anything continue to progress after I'm gone? No. So what we do is work alongside teachers here as co-planners, co-facilitators, and co-teachers. We could easily help behind the scenes (and in many other small ways) and let the Dominican teachers do the teaching and that's actually better! Wow did that feel good.
Oh, my new slogan? Puedo hacerlo (I can do it). And I literally use it to cheer myself on all the time. I'm so corny. But again, puedo hacerlo! This is what I came here to do. Test myself, gain confidence in myself and what I am capable of, and most importantly, do as much damage (which by that, of course, I mean 'good') as I possibly can in two years. I cannot tell you how encouraging it was to hear "Si puedes escucharme, aplausa una vez. Si puedes escucharme, aplausa dos veces." Education majors?? Anyone? One of my favorite classroom management tools for whole classroom instruction. Softly in the chaos of some sort of activity say, "If you can hear me, clap once. If you can hear me, clap twice." Etc until you have everyone's attention. Simple, yet so effective and awesome and a good way to save your voice and always remain positive (anti-yelling right here. Also sorry about all the 'ands' in that sentence. Good thing I'm not teaching English?). Felt like home and felt familiar.
Spanish class finished out the day and a bunch of us walked to the supermarket (soooo far awayyyyy). Lordy I hope my body will get used to this heat and stop sweating altogether. That would be wonderful. I do need to work off all these platanos y papas though... And since i cant run here, why not walk uphill both ways to La Sirena in the heat?? :) Anyways, we exchanged some of our American dollars that we had left from what they gave us in Washington D.C. into pesos. Holy shit I have a lot of pesos now (a lot compared to what they've given us so far, that is). Aaaand a couple bills that are far too big to use in this area so I'll have to go back to the supermarket to just get something so I can break them haha. But at least I have a bit of a safety net that at least will relieve any worry; even if I don't use it anytime soon. Good thing none of you know where I live so you can't come rob me ;). I got home with dinner waiting for me: some sort of seriously delicious meat (with a lot of fat on it lol) and potatoes (more starches! yay!). Now I am here and waiting for Jen to call after 8pm! I'm so excited!! :D Think I'll go shower now (with my sandals so they can be cleaned) and head to bed early tonight. Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. Phew! You're amazing! Nice to hear that this woman knows how great you are too :) Puedes hacerlo!!

    ReplyDelete