Friday, March 15, 2013

You Know What, Rihanna? I Think I Will Shine Bright Like a Diamond Today.

March 13, 2013 We started off the day with spanish class and of course, another vaccination. The doctors were so sweet to me. When I went in, we chatted a little and then the one lady gave me a kiss on the cheek as "anesthetic" before my shot. After she stuck my arm, I said it didn't hurt at all (which was true!) and she said it was because of the kiss. I swear to God I could feel my mother there with me and I was so happy in that moment... Miss you momma. Spanish class wasn't too exciting so I'd rather move on to the exciting stuff (don't worry, nothing exciting happened there- we learned about utensils in the kitchen, ooo)! We finally split up into our sectors (Commmunity & Economic Development and Education) to talk a little about our actual purpose here!! I felt like a kid in a candy store and like Susan said to Lisette and I, we were totally "nerding out." haha I didn't know this but we are the first actual education group to be in the DR. The group before us that is currently working on this literacy program originally came for technology work. They set up computer labs, taught children and adults how to use them, got internet service in various communities, etc. What they soon discovered, however, was that they were successful in doing these things but the people could not read and thus, they hit a major road block. They could only go so far before being unable to advance. So, the entire Technology sector was switched to Literacy Education and now, here we are! They have set up quite a decent development plan for this but they are excited for us to come in because we actually have experience or a degree in what they're trying to accomplish. Recently, there was a 95% fail rate for the national exam given to 4th graders and 8th graders... Looks like I'm in a place I want to be! I cannot tell you how good it felt to learn more (though there's still much more to learn and will completely depend on the area I am sent to) about the education here in the DR and what kinds of things we will be doing. Simply seeing pictures of kids in schools and volunteers in front of a classroom had my heart pounding through my chest. At last! My homework is to ask Paola some questions about her school and I already asked her if I could do so later :)
Another super exciting (yet scary) bit of news I received today was where I am going for my PCV visit. Next weekend (not this weekend), we are going off on our own to visit a Peace Corps Volunteer at their site for a few days. We have to travel alone and do a report while we're there on basically everything about their life during service. I found out that I am going to a mountain for my PCV visit! And that I should bring a jacket! Do you know how perfect that is for me?! Oh... I cannot wait to feel cold (outside of being in the shower here)!! It will take me about 3-4 hours (I think) to get there but it will be mostly by bus until I have to get on the back of a truck to head up the mountain. haha Oh boy. Better get going on my Spanish! What a whirlwind.
Back in Spanish class we learned all about public transportation because tomorrow we will be spending the entire day in Santo Domingo! We will be taking a guagua (crazy packed bus) and un carro publico (shared taxi with 7 people in it). We will see the official Office of the Peace Corps, the Medical Clinic, a museum, and a few other places while having lunch on the streets. I'm terrified but excited all at once, a feeling I need to start getting used to... ha. I just wish I could bring my camera :( But I'd rather not deal with anyone trying to steal it.. Ugh.
At the end of the day we learned how to play Dominoes. I understand it a little more now but learning to predict which Dominoes are going to be played next and which ones you should play will take some time and practice I think. So, I watched a lot tonight when I got home. They played a few games and a few times I think I understood but there's much more to learn. During dinner I talked a lot with my host mom. I told her I learned how to play Dominoes today and that I understand it a little more. I still don't know when to predict the dominoes but I know how to play and how to count them at the end. She explained a few more things in more detail and I understood. I then asked how I could get change because tomorrow we are taking public transportation and it would be easier to have change (and not bills) so the drivers don't have to make change for me. Of course, she said I don't need to bring change, they will give me some... Guess I'm going with only bills. Haha. Oh well. Sobrevivire (I will survive). She commented on the fact that I'm learning fast and I'm understanding much more already. She said I'm speaking more clearly than I was when I first came :) That was certainly nice to hear.
After dinner, I went back out to watch them play a bit more and the power went out. It's amazing how dark it got on the street but luckily, it didn't last long. Paola's older friend from school came over and we all chatted a bit and listened to some music. Paola's friend put music on through her phone and what song came on? Rihanna's "Shine Bright Like A Diamond" of course! So I sang in English with her! Then they asked me what it was about. That took a hot minute to translate in my head but I think I did it justice. We then went through Paola's notebook from school with her English notes! She was adorable with her pronunciations and how she just laughed at herself with every knew word. She struggled a lot with the /th/ sound since there is no such sound in their dialect haha.They had me translating everything. I know I'm not supposed to be speaking English but I actually felt like it was good practice! But who knows... They continued talking about school, that Paola played with her retainer in the middle of math class, what their teacher was like today, etc. I didn't follow much to be honest. Again, it was fast and mixed with laughter so it broke up words. But! I won't give up and damnit, I'm gonna shine bright like a diamond! Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment