Monday, March 18, 2013

A Happy and Loved Girl

March 15, 2013. Today was a day of some ups and downs for sure. We had a class first thing in the morning about the roles of a volunteer in the development of a community. Not something that would wake me up in the morning... but I managed to stay awake. She did give us a list of things that a past PCV did in her two years here (from a write up we will all have to do at the end of our service). After reading this, I couldn't tell what sector she was even in. She had done things with her community in business, education, economics, environmental, etc. It was quite overwhelming and I have to say, a lot to live up to. Our director did say that (especially for education) we will have more focused work but outside projects are encouraged. After that lovely lesson, we got to see presentations from currents PCVs about their living conditions. Holy. Shit. I cannot even begin to describe all the situations because all four of them were totally different. The first girl lives in a place way out in the sugar plantations. She has a two room place, no running water (though they did just get a faucet instead of the manual pump but it's too new to be reliable), and sometimes electricity. Tarantulas aren't that uncommon and she showers in her kitchen with a bucket where she also washes her clothes. It was incredible... and a bit nerve-racking. The next guy lives in a campo which is a bit more civilized but not much. His place is a bit bigger with a nice porch and he has a hammock!! He bargained it down to 900$ so that's my goal as soon as I move out on my own. Time to start saving up! I barely have that now... Anyways, he built lots of shelves from wood he snagged from an abandoned house. His latrine is literally a small hole and he tied a seat belt to the ceiling so that he had something to hold on to while he squats (since there is no actual toilet seat over the hole). The kids in his neighborhood love to color so he has lots of coloring books (gotta get on that). He also built a system on his roof to collect water in a large tank in his backyard. Of course he has to boil it before using it but he oftentimes shares with the family next door since they have six kids. The next PCV lives closer to an urban setting and has his own apartment with a roommate. It was actually pretty nice. You walk into his dining room, ahead is his kitchen with a propane stove, that's next to a living room, further ahead is the bathroom, and then at the end is the two bedrooms. His is very small but workable and he insisted that we get plastic bins for stuff we need to protect during the rain season (which goes from June to the end of November...). He had a gorgeous rooftop with gorgeous views and that's where he goes to get away a bit and play his guitar or drink coffee. I already know I need to make sure I have something like that to be alone at times. The next girl was the urban setting although she lived a bit outside the city and worked in it. Her situation was a bit different though because she still lives with her host family (it's now been for a year and a half). I really don't want that but she's really happy with her family so that's wonderful. I just think I'll want to be independent after being dependent on families for 6 months... It was amazing to see how creative they were with everything they've had to adjust to though. They all had internet except for the first girl. She said she could travel about 15 minutes on a motoconcho and get it though when she needs it. The second guy actually buys timed internet and it's put on a usb which he can then plug into his computer. Fascinating. I guess towards the end of training, we can say what we prefer for the area in which we live but I really am stuck on that one. I have no idea at this point though I think I'd be happy at a campo which seems to be a happy medium. I don't know though... To be honest, it's hard to imagine any of them because I've never experienced anything like them. Going camping in Allegany was nothing like this.
When that crazy mess was over, we got our cellphones!! I get 150 minutes and 75 text messages a month within our plan (in DR only). I've got to get a calling card for international calls though which I don't have much money to do that yet. When I receive calls however, even international ones, I don't get charged! So! If anyone wants to call me and it's not too expensive for them (no clue what it'll cost for you all), please do! I miss voices so much it's ridiculous! After 8pm (we are on the same time now) is best though and if I don't answer, I'm sorry! Message me if you want my number ;)
Lunch was next and then we had Spanish class for the rest of the day. Of course, we got another vaccination in there too. This one hurt a lot. She gave me a hug and another kiss though so it was all good :) In Spanish we talked a lot about our day in the city and then moved on to non-verbal forms of communication in the DR. It was so interesting to learn because talking about people that are walking around or whatever, is totally a norm. "Gossiping" is huge here. We learned the motions for someone who is probably a thief, someone who is unfaithful, broke, full (from eating), hungry, cheap (me!), a liar, thin, fat, pregnant, smart, rich, snooty, etc. It's amazing because most of the time when people use these and talk about others, they have no idea if it's true. They just go on physical appearances and that's accepted and normal. Guess I'm going to start judging people ;). We then learned ways in which to change the subject if we feel uncomfortable in a conversation. The people here ask very personal questions and want to know everything about you. I really do love how much they talk and share with each other (of course, I'd love it more if I could be fluent). This is how people develop "confianza" or trust and it's a beautiful thing. It can get overwhelming though but the best part is that it's fairly easy to change the subject and have them stop asking you why you're not married at the age of 24. Lastly in Spanish, we learned some "sayings" that are a part of the culture here. It was so fun to translate them and learn what they mean because almost all of them had a counterpart in the states. For example, "Loro viejo no aprende hablar" is basically, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Or, "El Pasajero se conoce por la maleta" which is actually the opposite of, "You can't judge a book by its cover" because it's saying that you can judge a passenger on a plane by the quality of his briefcase. I loved it :)
After training, a few of us went to a colmada down the road a ways to get a drink. There was some confusion between some of us though, so the person I was supposed to walk back with, wasn't there. I did have to walk alone but I made it back okay. It was just a little scary walking by some of the men. When I got home, I went outside to be with the neighbors. I didn't talk much but the mother of the three young boys (Jenny) did end up asking me if I liked pasta. In Spanish, I responded, "Oh of course! I am Italian after all!" They laughed and it was nice to actually interact a bit. My host mom made me dinner and we actually had a conversation! I told her that we are having a party tomorrow for one of my friend's birthdays so I won't be home for dinner. I then asked her if she has lived in other places besides here. She did, and described where I bit. I told her I was going to Azua next weekend in Monte Bonita. She said it's beautiful there but colder. We talked about Paola being sick and how she didn't want dinner. When I was full, I used the word that she has taught me to say "I'm full" and she was excited that I was learning so well. I also gave her my cellphone number since I was able to say that I had gotten a phone today! She wanted to exchange numbers in case either of us needed anything tomorrow. OH! I also made another mistake but it was funny. When I got my phone out, I asked her, "Que es tu nombre?" Which means, "What is your name?" She answered and then looked at me funny and I said, "Oh no! Of course I know you're name! haha I meant, What is your number (nĂºmero)?!" haha we laughed together and she picked on me for asking for her name when I've lived here for over a week already. I said, "Ay! Hay muchas palabras en mi cabeza" (There are too many words in my head). haha It was such a good moment for us since I feel like those are so rare. She's not the typical Dona that they talk about at training who asks tons of personal questions and never stops talking. They say that's the best way to gain "confianza" but my host mom doesn't do that. So I feel like today was great for that reason. I tried to ask her a bit about herself so hopefully she'll know she can do the same for me. And hey, I make mistakes, which should show that I'm comfortable trying to practice and learn with her. We'll see if I'm right!
Jimmy came over because we both had homework to find a child in our neighborhood and ask them questions about the school they go to. Jimmy doesn't have any kids around him so I told him to come down. Paola was great and now he knows why I love her so much. I told him that she's my saving grace and it's true. The hole that is left from leaving my own sister isn't so empty. It's not even close to the same thing without her, but it's nice to have a reminder of what a sister feels like. Boy do I miss you, babygirl. It's now 8:09pm and I told my dad earlier today to call after 8 if he can. I sure hope he does!! I was so anxious getting my phone that I was shaking quite a bit haha. I will probably burst into tears the second I hear familiar voices but I can't wait. I hope he calls! For now, I will try and focus on some more homework to distract myself and return to post about it here if they do call.
They called! And of course, I sobbed :) Hearing their voices was like nothing else I've ever felt and I feel so much better now. I know I'm not completely cut off from them anymore and I couldn't be happier. And my munchkin said he hasn't gotten much taller so I'm good ;). Now I just need my man's voice so hopefully that'll happen sometime soon. For now, I'm going to bed a happy and loved girl. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment