Monday, March 25, 2013

It's Going To Be The Little Things

March 20, 2013. In the morning I had salami and a yam. It was delicious but of course, starchy and filling. My host mother put on a christian radio station (first time religion has been mentioned in some way in this house) and the song that I know and love, "I Want To See You" or something like that came on. It was translated perfectly in Spanish :). Today was jam-packed with information. First, how we need to monitor and evaluate everything we do for our own sake as well as for the collection of data for the Peace Corps as a whole. They reiterated that much (if at all) of our impact (more long-term) will not be seen by us... This is discouraging in the sense that I will have to work extra hard to keep my attitude right when the results are not there in front of me. Our training director said that when she served, it was the little boy she taught how to read in her community that kept her going every day. There may not have been big successes in the two years of service, but the little ones are just as important for keeping your sanity and providing hope. So many people talk about how they stayed for a third year and while as of right now, I don't want that, I do know that I would love to come back and visit in the future once my service is done. Just to see the volunteers that come after me (since this program is still just starting) and what progress was made, if any.
After this we learned all about the history of the DR from the indigenous people, to colonization from Spain, to gaining independence from Haiti, to Trujillo, to today. Though long, it certainly was fascinating. During lunch we got our helmets for our motoconcho rides (!) and money for traveling this weekend. I was a little annoyed, however. Our helmets are blue with really brights decals all over it that just screams, "I'M AMERICAN, ROB ME." No one wears helmets here and while I understand the reasoning for wearing them, why do they have to be so bright and obviously foreign? (see below)
Anyways, then we learned all about the climate of the DR, hurricanes, and the various parts of the country and how they differ environmentally, economically, etc. Again, long but very interesting. To wrap up the day we got to ride on a motoconcho for practice and had Spanish class. In class we learned how to go about renting a place here and the kinds of questions you would ask. We also talked about what to do in the case of an emergency and all the lingo that goes with it. We didn't have time to make our juice but we're going to on Monday. I collected money for stamps and went to a colmada with a few friends to celebrate Caitlin's birthday tomorrow. Eventually I made my way home, started packing my bag, had pasta for dinner, talked with Sona and my host mother about my trip (understanding most of what they said, I think), and headed to bed. Had to leave here by 7am... Buenas noches.





No comments:

Post a Comment