Friday, March 15, 2013

Beautiful Insanity

March 6, 2013. We met in the lobby at 2am and left for the airport on a bus by 2:30. We arrived quickly but the desk didn't open until 4 so we sprawled out all over the floor and waited. Once they opened, it took forever to check our luggage and most of us had to run to the gate to make our 6am flight on time. We made it but the de-icer truck broke and we were delayed for about 45 minutes until they got a new one. So, by the time we landed in Miami, we had 15 minutes to run to our next gate. Flying down to the DR was incredible. The views....breathtaking. We landed, went through customs, and emerged into the humid air. Current PCVs met us outside and asked us questions in Spanish and asked for our names when we answered (or stared at them blankly...). Very embarrassing. And overwhelming. Like hazing. Anyways, we loaded our luggage onto a truck and got into a van. Driving through the streets was eye-opening for sure. Litter everywhere, gorgeous water, abandoned, run-down buildings right beside fancy hotels, babies on the backs of motorcycles with their mother, no sense of driving regulations or signs for traffic. Beautiful insanity. We arrived at a Catholic center for our retreat and I roomed with Susan. We had a snack and chatted outside in the perfect weather. Orientation was next which was loaded with information I don't remember. I got my rabies shot, fitted my head for a helmet to ride on the motorcycle taxis (!) and gave up my license, credit cards, and birth certificate for keeping in the PC office (that felt weird). We also got our mosquito nets, bug spray, and malaria pills to take every Wednesday -Malaria Miercoles! (oh the stories about those damn pills... Wednesday night dreams are gonna be awesome). Dinner was at 7 and we had the rest of the night off. I went outside to spend time with my new friends but soon went to shower and go to bed (the shower was warm!). Had to remember to spit three times after I brushed my teeth (can't swallow the water! Or eat raw cabbage or lettuce). Breakfast was at 7am so I thought I was going to get some decent sleep! Boy was I wrong... For whatever reason, even though I was exhausted, I couldn't fall asleep. Then sometime in the night, two men were yelling?? And commence rooster at 3:30am that didn't stop until my alarm went off... Woo!








1 comment: