Friday, March 15, 2013

Holy Shit I Need a Shower

March 14, 2013. What. A. Day. We spent our entire time for training in the city. It was amazing but: My 1st mistake was not bringing my camera. They freaked us out with all this stuff about being robbed and staying as concealed as possible, including our electronics and such because we'll become a fast target since we're already obviously American. So I didn't bring it. So dumb. But! We will be back in the city on Sunday for a tour of a museum so I will be bringing it then. My 2nd mistake was wearing my sandals. My feet hurt like no other and are so incredibly dirty. My 3rd mistake was not bringing any change. I survived but it did get a bit complicated.
We left the training center and had to wait about a half hour to catch una guagua. It was packed and one of our professors was literally hanging out the doorway-so cool. We were on this for quite some time until my teacher (Marcia) told me I need to yell "The next corner" to have the bus stop for us since we were close. I was like, oh no way, but she started a countdown... So I yelled, "En el proxima esquina!" and the bus stopped. SO AWESOME. hahaha She showed us the Metro which looked very much like those in NYC. She and I raced back up the stairs on the way out :) We then got a carro publico to head down the street towards the main Peace Corps Office. The building was like a labyrinth and had so much character. Most of the people that worked there introduced themselves, told us what they did, when we might need them, etc. I became very overwhelmed walking out because I felt like I had learned nothing. I had no idea who anyone in that office was or who I would need to go to and for what... As we left, I told Marcia that I needed to know Spanish, now (of course this is all in Spanish). She asked me why. And I started to tear up... I said I was just so frustrated and felt lost. I know where I am now and I know where I want to be but it's impossible to see that far down the road. She said the one PCVL (Peace Corps Volunteer Leader) that we met came in at a level 1 (we are a level 3) and now she is staying here, working in the PC office, and leading other volunteers... She said we've only been here for a week and a day (which is such a crazy thought because it feels like at least a month already) and that we are going to be just fine. She just has such a way about her and I did feel better after those few simple things.. (mini breakdown #2?) Anyways, we then walked a few blocks and she showed us the only place in the city where we are allowed to spend the night if we need to when we're out there on our own. It was a beautiful place and will cost us (with a PCV discount) 1,200$ a night. That seems like so much right now because that's literally all I have haha. We then got in a mini bus and traveled down the road a ways to see the clinic that we will go to if there's anything that needs to be done that the medical staff at the PC Office can't do. It was easy enough to get to. Next was a Historical Museum. It was fascinating but of course, I only got pieces of the history. I wish I had internet (among many other reasons) so I can look up a bit more on the history of the DR. And I don't have enough money to buy a history book... After the museum, it was lunch time! We went to an awesome part of the city that had lots of stores and restaurants (Dominican food and fast food!). It reminded me a lot of Elmwood in Buffalo but the street was only for pedestrians, which was nice, and of course, it had a Dominican twist. I was able to order my food without much problem :) At the end, I went up to just buy a water and Andrew (he's in my Spanish class) walked with me. He said he was super impressed by how I sounded and that it seemed so easy! So I told him my secret. I probably practiced what to say about 8 times in my head on the way to the counter... But at least it worked haha. We sat around and talked for quite a bit there just to rest. Finally we left and went to the Christopher Columbus Park. There were lots of tourists and I heard English outside of our group! The park was right in front of a massive, stone building (it looked like some sort of fortress). I didn't know what it was until we went around to the back and then inside. It was a gorgeous church... Built in the early 1500s. It was incredible. Yet another moment I was kicking myself for not having my camera because I know how much my family would have loved that. There was a cemetery that we passed earlier in the day too that Marcia said was super old. Grandma Irene would have loved that... We walked around a bit more just to see some of the sites. The day was over for our teachers because this was the moment that they left us and we had to make our way back on our own! We made it, though with quite the amazing detour that I will not be posting here :) That will be for my journal only (and for those who will read it when I come home). haha
I got home, had macaroni and cheese waiting for me on the table and now typing this. I need to do my write up about my day now but this time in Spanish for Marcia. So off I go and later, I will take my much needed shower. I did get sun today though, finally! I didn't have my host mom telling me to move my chair into the shade so I wouldn't have to sit in the sunlight haha. Thank goodness. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment