Friday, March 15, 2013

To The Clown Car We Go!

March 8, 2013. The next day my host mother made me a sandwich with cheese and salami for breakfast. Mmmmm. She walked me to the training center, hugged me goodbye (goodness I love hugs) and us PCTs sat and listened some more. The worst part was the end of the day though. We learned all about theft, burglary and robbery which are very common and how they will happen most during public transportation. And then we went out to practice!! We took a carro publico which are like shared taxis. Except they fit 7-8 people in them. 3 in the front and 4 in the back. You flag one down, squeeze in (literally sitting on top of one another), pay the flat rate and just yell when you want him to stop. Craziness... They even said that the motorcyclists will reach in your window at a stop light and snatch your bag when the light turns green so HOLD TIGHT to your bags! Luckily, my house is right near the training center so I don't have to take those yet :). So I walked home and my host mother fed me huevos y papas. While I was eating, I told her that I used to play volleyball in the states. She told Paola and she and her friends took me to a grassy area to play! It was so amazing to do something familiar. The kids made me the teacher and the took turns passing it back and forth to me until the ball (which was a volleyball-sized bounce ball) hit the ground. I was so happy. We went back after a while and I watched more Dominoes in silence. I finally said to my host mother that I was going to go study in my room. I just needed to get away and not feel so awkward. I took notes on tenses and vocab words. I decided a bit after that I should go back out but they were coming in to watch tv in Paola's room. They didn't invite me so I pretended to get water (from the jug of fresh water) and went back in my room. Bedrooms are sacred places here so you never go in someone's room unless they offer. Finally at 8pm, I went out and told them I was going to bed and asked if I was able to use my fan all night (sooo proud of myself for that! After all, it's the little things). She said of course which also made me happy :). I journaled more and searched for my Set game :/ don't think I packed it...

1 comment:

  1. Your Set game was on the desk when i was cleaning up! I'll send it! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete