Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Chose To Be Me

March 25, 2013. Today I had a ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Much better than the tomato and cheese one :) So I was a happy camper. Paola sat with me since she doesn't have school all this week for Semana Santa. We chatted about how she was happy that she didn't have school and I finally was able to give her the rock I found at the beach. I said that it was a gift for her. And that it made me think of her because I think it's beautiful and she is beautiful!
We started off the day at training with an interesting activity. We all stood in a circle and took little strips of paper with statements on them. Statements such as, "I like yuca" or "I have a family member in the Peace Corps." Then the second set of strips were things like, "I believe in pro-choice" or "I have been in an abusive relationship." So we went around and read our statements aloud and if it applied to us, we'd stand in the middle. And then the last person had the statement, "I did not step forward for one or more statements." It was fascinating to see how many of us seemed to be honest. I'm sure there were many who didn't step forward for some but even the difficult ones had participants and we've only known each other for 2 1/2 weeks. Crazy to think about. And despite not knowing these people for very long, I feel like I can trust them or at least be real with them. Hell, I could be whoever I want to be with them since I came in as an empty slate in their eyes. But I chose to be me, and I think that was the best choice.
After this, we separated into Education and Business and talked about our volunteer visits. I didn't say much since it was difficult to have one set of feelings about it. That was okay though, since we were going to have interviews throughout the day with our placement coordinator to talk more about what we might want in our placements. Which...I'll just put here now. Okay, so I went to have my interview and it went really well. I spoke of some concerns about being out in the middle of nowhere with a less populated area. I also said that I was worried about being near the border because of the language differences that exist with the mix of Creole from Haiti. She completely understood, listened to me talk about my weekend and said she is placing us in clusters and that we won't be out in the middle of nowhere :D. I said I was having a difficult time with this because I wanted them to place me where they felt I could make the biggest difference, so saying there were things I didn't want, didn't feel right. She told me not to worry, she already has plans and that it's probably the happy medium I'm looking for. And with us being in clusters, we will have each other for support (technical AND emotional!) and we can do trainings together. She also said that she would like me to do things both in teacher training as well as working with the kids = exactly what I wanted! Ugh, I'm so anxious excited to find out my placement already! It's torture!
Okay so before lunch we then had a lecture on common health concerns like respiratory illnesses, skin infections, dental care, and local creepy crawlies & insects. Wooo. haha apparently nothing here is very poisonous but there are snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, centipedes and millipedes, geckos, etc. Haha so awesome. Honestly, the only thing I got out of the whole thing was GET A DOG. I'm so getting one! She went on and on about how a pet can be so good for your physical, emotional, and mental health. So (definitely used "so" 3X just now... I might be a little excited) at lunch, I sat with her and asked her all about it. It's doable on our budget, she will help me with all of the vaccines, she will help me find one if I don't fall in love already with one in my community, she will help me with training tips, and has books galore that I can borrow! I asked about when I go on vacation and she said I will most likely be able to trust someone in my community to take care of him. My only real concern: when my service is over. She said most people take them home (one girl is currently trying to find a way to take a horse home!)... Which I know probably won't be a reality... So, she said there will be lots of tears and tearing of heartstrings, but someone in the community will probably take him or another volunteer that is maybe extending... I'll have to think about that one a lot but I have time. I just REALLY want a dog! Since I don't play the guitar or anything cool like that, I feel like a pet would fill in the voids when I'm lonely or bored or in need of an excuse to exercise or in need of lovin'. Ugh. Want. So. Bad.
Phew! Continuing on... After lunch we had Spanish and we made orange juice with sugar, evaporated milk, ice, and vanilla. It was soooo good. We then talked about various traditions, parties, ceremonies, and superstitions in the DR.
After training, I finished collecting money for stamps from the group and we went to La Sirena (Super-Walmart). I got a few things (bar of soap, aloe, paper and colored pencils (a whopping 6 of them) to make Paola a picture, a purse (since they totally lied when they said DON'T BRING ONE), post-it notes, qui-tips (!!! had NO idea how much I would miss those), but no sunglasses (damnit)). I also may or may not have splurged on a new shirt that I liked but I am currently having no buyer's remorse (see below). Hopefully that stays that way when my settling-in allowance sucks... haha I spent $1,659.70. Whoo that's still going to take some getting used to. And tax here? 18% so for my purchases = $245.53. Crazy.
Andrew, Maegan, and I are trying now to plan getting together to study for our assessment on Wednesday... We're nervous. But it's 7:15pm already and I haven't had dinner yet... Hm...
So dinner was pasta again with salsa de china? That's what I heard which would translate into Chinese sauce. I have no idea. haha but it was pretty good (still miss yours, Gram).
And scratch studying plans... There was a concern in the group about me walking up to Los Cocos at night so we're rescheduling to tomorrow right after training. Damn. So I guess I'll just stay in my room since a bunch of neighbors are out playing Dominoes and Paola is gone with her friend... I'm good with it :) Maybe I'll study, shower (since it's been hot as HELL today-though I'm sure being burnt isn't helping to stop the sweating...), and head to bed. Love you all, and buenas noches.

2 comments:

  1. Jake wants pictures of all the creepy crawlies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! and cute shirt, make sure you're staying safe. miss and love you

    ReplyDelete