Friday, March 15, 2013

Vaya a Pescar!

March 10, 2013. I wonder if it's offensive at all to sleep in a little. I believe my host mother wakes up a little before 7 and I've tried to get up shortly after that. Today I'm slowly rising a little after 8... Oops. My host mother gave me hard boiled eggs this morning with Soda Crackers (just like saltine crackers at home) and coffee with so much sugar that it sits at the bottom haha. She sat with me for a moment but then turned on music really loudly and washed dishes and started mopping the house. Oh the headache from the bleach.... I hope she left me because she knew I was okay or simply wanted to clean and not because she is sick of not being able to talk to me... She told me what I was eating and that it's cold outside (which I find so funny since it's already almost 70 degrees (ish) and gorgeous out). I said, "Oh? There's a lot of sun but it's cold? Wow." But that was all before she got up... Hm.
Oh! I forgot to mention that yesterday I learned my new nickname (from the one neighbor at least). Nicknames are huge here and it is common to received one based on physical appearance including, "The Fat One" or "The Skinny One." Mine for now, however, is "The American." Phew! I'll take it :) I didn't realize it until the woman yelled to Paola inside, "Paola! something, something, something, La Americana!" My ears perked up but I had no idea what she said until Paola came out with a chair for me to sit on. hahaha. My host mother hasn't called me that yet so I wonder if it'll stick. She just always says, "Aye, Julie" when it's been quiet for a while.
I had a plan to teach Paola the card game, Go Fish, today and it worked!! Over an hour ago I saw Paola practicing shuffling (which I showed her how to do yesterday and told her to just keep practicing!). I went out and asked if I could play with her. We played a few games from last night and then I asked if she had ever played, Go Fish, or "Vaya A Pescar" (I hope that's right!!). She said no and I explained it as best as I could in Spanish. I was so proud of myself but I did simply show her in times when I couldn't explain. She picked it up fast though! and I was able to answer her questions! She loved it and asked if I knew another game. So I taught her how to play War. It went on forever and I told her that that can happen and we can stop at any time. Meanwhile, one of Paola's friends came over and took over for Paola after watching for a while. We then migrated outside (and Paola complained it was cold and got a jacket! The poor thing must be sick...). Another girl joined us and I taught them Go Fish as well! They loved it. We played for what felt like a long time and finally I let the two other girls play and said I needed to study. Goodness I love kids. I love to teach them and I love when they teach me. I feel like I have learned much more from them than the adults which is what my training director said would happen. Boy was she right! Guess I know I'm in the right field! Anyways, I should probably study like I said I was going to. It's only just before noon so I'll be back many more times to share, I'm sure!
Ha, I totally forgot to mention that when my host mother was flipping through radio stations this morning, she skipped over Bruno Mars' song, "Locked out of Heaven!" So sad!! I also had another sneezing fit this morning, so a pattern I must seek! Will update when I figure it out :) Also, there is no way my shoes are going to last even a year here... And I had so much "room" (weight) left in my luggage! Damn.
I've discovered a new feeling for me while here that is strange but exciting... I can't think of a single word (even in English!) to describe it so let me explain. I've had to do so many new and scary things in the few days I've been here (i.e. meet and live with a family that doesn't speak English, learn about the high amount of theft and then ride in public transportation, be assessed on day 2 on my lame Spanish, etc). These things would normally make me sick to my stomach, sweaty, have butterflies galore, etc. And while I had all those and more that first night in Washington, I haven't since. I'm at the point where I know I have no choice, I am where I'm at and there's no changing it, and I simply must go through these things if I want to grow. Yes, I'm still nervous and I feel fear but I'm not reacting physically to my nerves like I thought I would or like I used to. I'm here and I'm not leaving and that's that. As my big brother used to say when I was afraid to go down the ramp in my aggressive roller skates (ooo, fancy!), "Just do it!" Yea, yea, Nike said that too but they stole it from him for good advertising ;). It couldn't apply more... And I think I like this new feeling.
Hm... I have no idea what I just ate. The rice and corn (arroz con maiz) was great but the meat? Very dark and a strange consistency... Tasted... okay, I guess, but something wasn't right... Haha I'm tired now. I'm finding that I'm tired a lot and I could nap (like I did yesterday) again today even though I've gotten approximately 9 hours of sleep both nights... Do not like. Maybe it's because my brain won't shut off. Like, ever. I even dreamed about trying to keep up with others speaking (which was literally jibberish and not Spanish in my dream because they say that's a sign that you're fluent, if you dream in Spanish. Damn. So close) and playing cards with Paola and such. Haha or maybe it's because of the heat? Probably both.
What I love about Paola is how similar I think we are. She's so animated, smiles and laughs a lot, is dramatic (started fake sobbing when she lost our card game and when the little one year old wouldn't give her a kiss-which I've totally done while here at the training center as a joke when I couldn't understand what was being said in Spanish in our small language groups), is competitive, loves volleyball and loves food :) She's also great with the little one year old.
I can't tell you how nice it is to hear English but the funny part is, it already sounded weird. Me, Paola, and her friends were playing cards, sharing a soda, and watching my expression with a sour candy in my mouth and laughing when I found out one of her friends can speak a little English. I asked her where she learned it and what she knew. She listed off colors, numbers, basic greetings, etc. And she spoke it well! It was wonderful but like I said, almost strange. It's amazing how fast that happened.
Remember how I said facial expressions can do wonders even without language? Oh man is it true. We spent ten minutes flat simply making faces at each other. I showed them I can move my nose and ears and another girl turned her eyelids inside out! Yuck! Paola was pouting while we played volleyball so I started making sad faces through the holes in the wall and had her laughing so hard. It was hilarious :D
Dinner was amazing! I was nervous at first because it just looked like a bowl of off-white... mush. The consistency reminded me of cream of wheat though and she said it had corn and milk in it. It was very sweet! Loved it :) We talked a little but again, much silence. I did understand her saying the kids are (basically) terrors and I told her my brother is too haha sorry Jake but it's true sometimes and you know it! ;)
I also taught Paola a little English. She pulled a patch off of her pants that said, "Love Peace Happiness" and she asked me what it said. So I read it in English and then said, "Amor Paz Feliz!" :)

1 comment:

  1. Hispanics and their hard-boiled eggs. Some things never change. Proud to hear you're waking up so much earlier!

    ReplyDelete