Friday, March 15, 2013

What The "Real World" Really Is

March 12, 2013. This morning I had scrambled eggs and potatoes waiting for me. That made me very happy but eating first thing in the morning is still going to take some getting used to. Paola and I leave at the same time in the morning and we meet Jimmy about halfway up the street. The first item on our agenda today was the PC's approach to development in the world. We learned a lot of statistics about poverty and what the world outside of the borders of the states is really like... If anything does change for me when I go home after these next two years, it's that I'll never say "This is the real world" when referring to anything in the U.S. I didn't write down the statistics (so naturally, I remember nothing) but I will be getting the power point from my training director and I will share later... (UPDATE: one statistic? The DR is ranked #2 in the world for child prostitution...) We also watched an amateur video that was made in a barrio here in DR during a rainstorm. It wasn't a hurricane or anything but simply raining hard. The litter was everywhere, the run-off from the roofs was filthy, the small streams rose higher and higher and filled homes, and most eye-opening of all, the people were pushing all of their garbage into the rushing streams, just to get rid of it... There is also an organization that pays the garbage company to drop the garbage off with them and they go through the trash looking for food. They have bins labeled with all different kinds of food and they sort, "wash," and re-cook it for their community... Made me wish I was doing something environmental but I know nothing about that sector..
Anyways, in Spanish class we learned all about los platos tipicos in the DR. Sancocho, Mangu, Moro, Asopao, Locrio, etc. Then the different uses of ser y estar because they both mean, "to be." I really feel like things are flooding back to my memory and I am able to speak more. Even if I don't have the direct words for what I need to say, I'm able to work around what I'm lacking to say what I want. Our teacher, Marcia, is patient, funny, a bit sassy, and compassionate about our success. I love her. There were a few moments today where a shared language understanding would have been helpful but.... Esta bien. She takes the time to ask us questions and get to know us more. I know it's to improve our Spanish and keep us practicing but I feel as though she genuinely cares about what we have to say. Either that or she's a wonderful actress and hey, since she's a teacher, so that's very possible! She asked what our dreams are for the future and among other things I said I wanted to build my own school. She asked if she could be a teacher in it and of course I said yes! Even though it'll be in the states? And she said okay! Haha she wants to improve the schools here but she'd be happy to teach in my school too. She also said she could tell I am a teacher of young children because I seem to enjoy everything, even the little things. I believe she might be right :)
After lunch we had a discussion on harassment and ways to deal with it. I've already experienced the verbal side of this quite a bit as does every American female here. It's harmless but goodness it's frustrating when you don't know what they're saying or how to react. Luckily, I've been ignoring it and that's what you're supposed to do. Unless it gets more serious or physical. Interestingly enough, the translation for these types of comments from men is "Compliments." Here, it is almost expected and because the people take physical appearance so seriously, if a woman passes a man on the street and he doesn't say anything, she probably will think she must not look good that day. We received a handout with some typical sayings and some had me laughing. For instance (translated in English), "May God keep you and give me the key" or "All those curves and I don't have brakes" or "What technological advances, even flowers walk!" Men are even harassed here a bit by women because they simply want to marry them so they can get to the states. It's quite fascinating to learn about. Hopefully all I'll have to worry about is the verbal and the hissing. I think I can handle that.
More Spanish followed but then! At 3:45 we learned to dance! We were taught various forms of two main dances that originated here; and I will not be spelling them here until I know for sure how to so I don't offend anyone. Oh how I love the music and the dances seemed simple enough. Though... my partners were girls and I somehow ended up leading the entire time... haha Ah well. Basically just move your hips smoothly and lift your feet only a very very little to the beat and you've got it! With some really amazingly graceful fancy stuff thrown in that I did not practice... Hopefully that wasn't the only time we get to try it out!
Our day ended on this fun note and a bunch of us traveled down my street to a Colmada to have a beer. I didn't drink because it was right in front of my house and my host sister was there. I just didn't want to give any wrong impression... I did try someone's though and it was super dark but really really sweet (like everything else here, it seems). I miss light beer. And wine. Already? Oops. O:) I went over to say hello to my family real quick and said,"Como te llamas?" and immediately we all started laughing. I had just asked what their names were instead of asking how they were... haha My host mom went down to a friends house so when I went inside after the other PCTs left, Paola was doing homework at the table. I opened the door, saw Paola, and making a dramatic entrance with my hands in the air, shouted, "Hola Paola! Como te llamas?!" We laughed as I made a goofy face and said, "Aye Dios mio!" haha we chuckled for a while and then talked about what she was working on. It was math and she said she liked it though she had a lot of problems to do. We talked about her day, the other subjects she doesn't like in school, and that I learned to dance today! I understood pretty much everything she said (WIN)! She slows down for me, I've noticed, which is so nice since my host mother won't. Now she is outside and I'm still in my room relaxing. I don't really have much time to just shut down (nor will my brain really let me). Our breaks throughout the day are short (run to the bathroom and fill your water bottle) and during lunch there seems to always be something optional to go to (or I try to get this damn blog set up with slow internet). Then here, at home, I'm constantly trying to translate my own thoughts into Spanish while also listening in and translating my family or neighbors. I should be outside right now, but it is so nice to come in my room, keep the lights off (less heat), sit, and do homework or type this up, or reread all my letters from home... The internet was working today but I didn't get very far with getting this blog up. Though I did learn that my munchkin is sick. :( Wishing I could snuggle up with him on the couch right now since I know how lovey he gets when he's sick... But alas, I will be sending him love and health with the wind instead.
Speaking of health, we also had our individual medical interviews today with one of our PC doctors. I really like them and feel super comfortable talking to them which is perfect... since I will be getting diarrhea at some point and that's not the most comfortable thing to talk about. Ha.
I also learned that we will be living with another host family for 3 more months once our volunteer work starts (after the first 3 months). I suppose that's good because if I really mess this one up, I have a second chance! But that also means more time before I will be independent again... Dulceamargo (bittersweet) {<-- I learned from my teacher today (March 13) that this is not one word here in the DR even though I got it from my dictionary lol it's two separate words.}
I finally got the courage and mental strength to go outside and sit while they played Dominoes. I think I understood a bit more and Paola and I did each other's hair. It was a nice change from just watching them. I told them I'll be learning how to play tomorrow and that I'll come back an expert. They just laughed but didn't say anything. After they were through, my host mom took us to the banca again. We got back, I said goodnight, I think my host mom said she is going to wash my clothes tomorrow (?), and now I'm off to sleep. Buenas noches.
(Oh and a reminder for tomorrow that I'll hopefully read before I get into bed so I can remember to do them before I'm stuck under this mosquitera...: Start doing push-ups and crunches (at least) every night. Por favor y gracias.)

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute....you don't have to do your laundry??!! Seriously, it sounds like your DR Mom is taking very good care of you and nothing could make me happier!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete