Monday, March 25, 2013

Just Remember

March 23, 2013. We woke up at 6:50am and made it to the truck by 7:15am. He honked and honked and honked to tell people we were leaving but we didn't leave until 8. Even then, a few people called him to wait for them despite knowing that the truck always tries to leave at 7:15am (gotta get used to this reality). We walked around and I tried to take pictures of the views but it was foggy. I was upset that we never went for that walk yesterday... I had told Nikki that I wanted to ride in the back of the truck this time so I could experience standing on the flatbed so we did! And an experience it was. I felt like I was flying down a mountain and the views when the sun was rising above them? Breathtaking. I tried my best to soak it all in and live in the moment because the moment was nearly perfect. The pictures do no justice.
We made it down to Padre las Casas and got on a guagua to take to Laura's. At the cross, we actually sent our bags up with a moto and kept going towards the beach since Laura and Ivette were running late. I was a bit nervous sending my things with a stranger but they trusted him... Anyways, in Azua we got off the bus and got a motoconcho ride. Both of us on the back of a bike = terrifying! We made it to the beach (La Playa de Monte Rio) --See pictures below! It was perfect. They said it's probably the ugliest beach in the DR but lordy was it beautiful. I swear the mountains in the background were painted there and not real (hard to see in the pictures, sorry). I had found a beautiful shell that I was going to give to Paola but I lost it in the water :( I found a pretty rock instead... We drank chocolate milk, ate lunch (see below!!), and went swimming. Wading in the water, Ivette and I just chatted while Nikki and Laura did the same a bit further away. It was nice to separate for a moment and vent. Ivette's experience was a mix of things as well.
At around 3pm, we left in one of Laura's friend's car. We fit 5 people in the back and four (one was an adorable little boy) in the front!! It was insane haha and hot. Laura and Nikki were dropped off at the supermarket to buy stuff for dinner and the friends took us back to Laura's house. Ivette and I showered (being able to actually sit on a legit toilet and not squat over a hole with flies, was wonderful. But, it didn't flush so you had to dump a jug of water quickly down the hole to build enough pressure to flush lol) and waited for their return. Laura's house was pretty amazing. It had four rooms and then a bathroom; though one room belonged to the lady who she rented it from (but she was never there to use it). She had gotten lucky with much of her furniture already being in the house. She also borrowed a lot from her host family. If I've learned anything from these 2 volunteers, it's that the settling-in allowance from the Peace Corps is basically nothing and I'm going to need to be creative (and possibly very friendly with the neighbors?) in order to make my house a home. I've already written a list of things I would like to have at some point.
Anyways, the girls got back and we went outside to chat and eat chips & salsa, Mmm... It started to rain though so we moved inside. We listened to music, talked, rocked in her rocking chairs (!), and had tons of neighbors and kids stop by. Eventually they made pasta with a chunky red sauce and it was very good! As they were making it though, two kids came by and the three of us talked about books together. The girl started to read to me and then asked me to read. I spent about a half hour reading to them and asking them various questions. They were so intrigued and it was so wonderful!! Of course, I'm the only one in the group of Americans who doesn't speak much Spanish (Ivette is fluent) so much of the day was me, unsure of many things though understanding more than I thought but remaining silent. In this moment, however, I was enthralled in the kids sitting around me in the rocking chair and I was reading to them and interacting with them! Sheer perfection and exactly what my dream is. I want that so bad it burns. Kids to come by every day, my door to be always open (I know I'll need my privacy too, don't worry), the children wanting to read the books I have or color or do puzzles, for them to write me notes or bring me small tokens of love, etc. If I can just remember that reality and what it feels like, remember my loved ones at home and their unending support, and believe that I will accomplish many things here, I know I'll make through those moments (or days) when I think, "There's no way I can do this. What was I thinking?"
We ate pasta, Laura played the guitar and sang (beautifully) and we went to bed. A day filled with ups and downs (which is becoming my norm) but ending with a full heart. Buenas noches.

















No comments:

Post a Comment