Friday, April 19, 2013

My First Broadway Appearance Is Coming Up!

April 15, 2013. Today my Doña went across the street to make my breakfast. The poor thing. She said she had bought $50 (pesos) worth of gas before I arrived and spent $30 the day I arrived. And she's out already. She went on and on about how she got robbed and how there are hardly any good people here to rely on for things like that. Her sandwich maker also decided to stop working and wouldn't heat up haha. So she made my coffee and mushed and heated my sandwich across the way. What a woman.
Today was all about classroom management. Pretty awesome but we have to do a charla (workshop) for the teachers at the schools we're working at about it. So... Do a presentation in Spanish? Aye Dios Mio. Luckily, there's 4 of us, it's more of a discussion and sharing than a lecture, and it's only 40 minutes long. We met today to start planning and I'm actually pretty pumped about it now. To start, we're going to do two skits where we act out a model classroom with good management and then a bad example. Haha can't wait to be an obnoxious student! Or maybe the bad teacher? Either way, it'll be awesomeness cuz I've learned that my Spanish is way more convincing when I'm acting. Maybe I should just pretend to be someone else for the next two years? My first Broadway appearance but behind the curtains?? I mean, there's certainly enough curtains here since doors are too expensive...
Anyways! We then really centered the charla around the teachers so that they will be doing most of the sharing and talking while we will guide it and actually be modeling and applying appropriate classroom management skills within the workshop. I'll keep you posted on how that goes!
Lunch was delicious as usual but my host mom went on a pretty bad rant about how her granddaughter eats nothing. Meat? She doesn't eat it. Salad? She doesn't eat it. What does her body have to grow on? Nothing. So basically her body is going to die and it's her fault. She was yelling loud and talking really fast to me while Noemi just sat there silent. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded... On a positive note, I had fried yuca and it was incredible.
Spanish was fun, learned two new tenses that I knew before but needed the refresher for sure. Volleyball was after but first I ran for a solid 20 minutes. Don't make fun, that's impressive for me :). After, I started walking home and Raini drove by so she picked me up and gave me a bola (free ride). She had just gone into the city and picked up a few things from the PC Office. And I got mail! My wonderful family made me a little book and they all wrote to me on Easter! My dad wrote me a poem, my munchkins took a picture on the steps with a sign that says, "We Miss You Julie!" And I got Tony's address and picture! Ugh, so good. I love that I have more to hang in my home when I eventually live on my own. And of course it means the world that you all thought of me that day. I love and miss every single one of you. Talking to you guys tonight was wonderful, as usual :).
After I ate my mashed potatoes and some sort of sausage, I headed out for a charla on relationships in the DR given by our PCVL Amber and another volunteer. This included being careful in your site about what you do with people of the opposite sex in order to protect your reputation. Inviting someone in to your house even for just a drink on a hot day will be viewed as more by your community. In some places simply walking down the street with a person of the opposite sex your age means you're married. And so on. Also how you act, as a woman, with men and how that can be viewed was discussed. And again, I was reminded that I need to basically change my personality if I want to stay out of trouble... Lol sweet. It's all good though. I just need to be colder? Oh I'll figure it out later :P. The convo then turned to dating Dominicans so I happily tuned out and ate chips and salsa and drank my Coca Cola. Love you, babe :). If you come visit though, you'll have to be my husband. Can you handle that? ;). And sorry I couldn't talk earlier! Hopefully tomorrow will work out better.
But it's time for bed! Tomorrow we get to implement our first pull-out lesson! Wish me luck! Though... by the time this will be posted, it'll be over already. So... Thanks for the prayers! They worked! haha. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment