Saturday, April 6, 2013

One Brave Move A Day

April 3, 2013. I had fruit for breakfast! Yay!! But she still made me a cheese and jamon sandwich too so I ate half of it (she said, "it's just here if you want it") :).
The second I started walking to the training at 7:30am, I was sweating. Crazy. We talked about our community diagnostic. And then started implementing! My Spanish class is doing a seasonal calendar for the school year. Our plan is to interview teachers, parents, as well as kids to do a comparative study. So, we wrote up 10 questions, built up some courage, and ventured out to one of the schools we visited yesterday. I introduced us to the secretary, said what we were working on and what we needed and asked if she could help (!). We were able to sit down with the woman who gave us the tour yesterday and a teacher. And it went well!! I was so nervous with the whole the Spanish thing (what else is new) but it helped to have questions written out ahead of time. And I think I understood most of what they said haha. Phew! First obstacle down! Luckily we have until Monday when we present it all.
Afterwards, we went to Maegan's to ask more questions from another form we received. That one was a bit crazier but we need to ask multiple people so that'll help.
Then it was lunch time! I had cauliflower with a cheese and onion sauce, pineapple juice (pretty sure I ate bugs with it but I just closed my eyes and drank), a banana, rice, and a meat (no clue what meat) that was delicious! We chatted about my day and I asked who the gentleman was that comes over everyday. She said he is the son of a neighbor but ever since he was a little boy, he went everywhere with her. She used to feed him, bring him to the store, etc. She then went on and on about how poor this town is. Many times, the women of the households have to travel everyday (from 4am-8pm) to the city to work to help provide for their families. She said the people that do have money invest elsewhere and not here. There are no jobs. And she feeds as many people as she can (which today she fed Alfredo and the neighbors across the street who have been working on something outside since I got here). #1. I cannot tell you how good it is to be able to converse both ways. It's not just me trying to start conversations and having them go nowhere because of my lack of Spanish and because the other person doesn't even try to keep it going.. And #2. She reminds me of my Grandma Irene in so many ways :). It's so different here from Pantoja with Carmen and Paola but I love it. I feel like she's watching over me. She never let's me do my dishes and yells at me to sit down and watch TV when I try and at least clear my dishes from the table haha. Just like my gram would do for any guest. And she's got a bit of sass on top of it! (Gram: I've seen two hummingbirds since I've been here. So while she reminds me of you a lot, what's even better is knowing that you're actually here with me.)
I explained that after Spanish class I have to work a bit more on a project and then some friends and I are going running. She said she'll leave the key with me since she'll be at church when I return (she's Evangelical though the main religion here in Monte Plata is Catholic). I think I'll ask her if I can join her sometime just to experience it.
Spanish was fine, David laughed quite a bit more and I enjoyed the games we played. We then headed to Sarah's to catch some Internet and so I could send out some love. An hour later, we were on our way to "El Play" (the baseball field) to run! Four times around is about a mile and I broke it up. Ran one lap, did crunches, ran another, did push-ups, etc. There ended up being 8 of us that showed up there even though we didn't plan it :). I can't tell you how good it felt to do that. Granted, I'm very out of shape but to breathe the fresh air, to sweat for a legit reason, and to be active (instead of stuck doing push-ups in my bathroom in Pantoja cuz not very many women exercise in public) was an incredible feeling that I was missing. Afterwards, we were walking out and I asked if anyone wanted to set up a game of volleyball for the weekend. My technical trainer said that the people play volleyball here everyday and asked if I wanted to ask them when and if I could join. I said, "Now? Oh no. I had one awesome success today as a result of bravery and I want to keep that positive alive at the end of today. One brave move a day makes the worries go away. But only one. So I'll save another brave moment for another day." Haha she laughed at me and proceeded to ask the people that were coming out of the gym for me. Love her. So they play at 5:30pm (which is right after Spanish class!) and I can join (some other volunteers wanted to play too!)! Ah! I can't wait until tomorrow! I haven't played in a hot minute though so hopefully I won't suck but yessssss. :). So pumped.
I got home and my host mother was rushing out the door for church but left me dinner on the table. I showered first (longest, most needed bucket shower yet) and then ate some sweet mushy stuff. The rest of the night I devoted to homework which was quite a bit (though Nate called and gave me the perfect break! Miss, love, and am proud of him.) and now I'm finally in bed. It's 10:46pm. Yikes! Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment