Monday, June 24, 2013

50 Learned Things

June 24, 2013. Entrega de las Notas. Simple enough, the kids got their grades and were told if they passed or not lol. It makes sense since they don't have mail here so they have to show up to get their grades. Duh. You certainly learn something new everyday but here? It's like 50 new things everyday :).
So that's Learned Thing #1
#2. The day to receive grades is also a day to look your best and bring gifts for the teachers. The kids were all in their "best" today (with heels, shiny white boots, dresses, vests, ect) and it was adorable (but also sad in a few cases...). 
#3. Being told you're getting fat in the cheeks is a good thing. And biting my tongue from saying, "No! I don't want to be fat!" is really hard because I would definitely offend... Many.
#4. I can in fact walk arriba alone and it impresses my host mom's family.
#5. I can in fact say "No" and stay strong when the kids ask to play with my tablet 100X in a half an hour (I'm not exaggerating). 
#6. I have an incredible amount of patience when I want to get something done (today I did more stuff for the summer classes). Though wanting a break from having to deal with Niño helps quite a bit to maintain that patience.. O:)
#7. I can eat fish with it's entire body (fins and scales included), head, and eyes staring up at me from the plate. And it wasn't fried this time. Delicious as it was, picking the tiny bones out of my mouth between the meat was slightly annoying (Don't tell Peace Corps on me though...)
#8. I realized today that while my Spanish isn't significantly better, I take much less time to think before speaking. Before the process in my head was quite agonizing but now, it's much less so. I don't have to build up the courage as well as translate before I open my mouth. Most of the time now, I just open my mouth (and make the same amount of mistakes faster!). 
#9. My little munchkin has grown at least a foot :(  I saw a picture of him with my babygirl for her graduation...
#10. I like coconut. Real coconut. Still unsure about the fake-ish coconut shaving things back in the states though.

Okay so that's 10, not 50. But the 40 others definitely lie in things I heard and understood in Spanish today so yea, 50. Win! Until tomorrow, Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment