Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I Took a Deep Breath and Smiled

June 22, 2013. I haven't written in a few days for a few reasons. And I think those reasons will stay with me. Nothing crazy; I'd just rather have it that way.
Yesterday was a much better day considering I could really only go up. I awoke, had bread with hot chocolate for breakfast, Dulce left, and instead of turning arriba to meet her up there, I walked abajo. Manuela wasn't home and neither was the pastor. I knew Linda was working so I was running out if options with my level of courage. I decided to make one more different turn on my way back to the house. Outside of one house there was a bunch of kids playing this marble game that I keep seeing (and still don't fully understand it). The old man that seems to show up everywhere was outside watching. He greeted me with the normal gigantic hug and kiss on cheek asking the usual, "Y usted, ¿cómo está todo?" I answered and told him I've seen this game so many times but I still don't get it. He laughed, got me a chair and I sat down outside to watch. The women that lives close to Dulce was there and had a few kids run and get me mango. I ate, made a mess, and watched. No one spoke to me but I was there, at a new house, with new people :)
I left eventually, tummy full of mango juice and teeth full of strings. Niño came over and I hung out with his Mom, Angie (who's probably my age). She got to playing my iPad and they played for hours. Around 4, I left with some more random courage to go visit Linda. Perfectly enough, she had just told Dulce to have me come over. And perfectly enough yet again, as I turned down the muddy path to her house, she was coming my way. We laughed, a man with a deep raspy voice said he wanted to be mine (with various other things thrown in there), and we imitated him the whole way to the colmado, continuing to laugh hysterically. She bought things on a promise to pay the man back (and she said I could do that too haha) and when we stepped out under the sky, it opened up. Haha we turned back quickly and hung out until it died down. The guy at the colmado was super impressed by my Spanish since I've only been here for three and a half months. That felt good to hear... We finally left for her house, she cooked yuca and salami and washed clothes while I hung out with her little ones; reading with Eddi, listening to Ricki, and later watching her novella. I felt like I was a part of the family... And she affirmed that feeling saying how happy she was that I'm here and a perfect fit in her family. Seriously, my heart was pounding with joy...
At 9, I figured I should head out and just as Ricki was getting ready to walk me home, Moreno called asking where I was haha. When I made it back, Dulce said he was worried about me because I am never gone at night :). Pasta was waiting for me on the table so I forced half the bowl down my throat and headed to bed (I'm gonna start running eventually, I swear). 
Today was another phenomenal day with Linda. I headed to her house first thing in the morning and we sat and chatted a bit. Then she brought me to another farm I had not seen yet where her husband works. Then to his parents house which is the house Nati and I visited when I first arrived with the 100 different animals. We porch sat and chatted (I listened, rather) and got that red fruit I love so much and don't know how to spell. Then, a journey to the other side, El Batey. Win Linda! I always seem to see something new or something I know I should revisit when I'm with her; without fail. We stopped at a house where a woman was doing nails (good to know :P). Then left when I swear I thought she said she needed to buy something haha. Go Spanish.
I headed home cuz I needed to do laundry but the luz was still out at Dulce's house (but nowhere else). I hung out for a bit, ate lunch, shucked habichuelas, and Angie played on my iPad again until the battery was dead (luz went out last night so it didn't charge much). I completely forgot about English class but thankfully Lili and the older woman were the only ones to show up! Haha I helped them out with the parts of the body a bit but that was it. Linda called again so I went back to go see her. 
Then the drunk came. Haha oh man. That was an adventure. Linda, her husband, son, and I went abajo and the drunk followed. We wondered, talked to a bunch of people, sat under the huge mango tree on the other side waiting for a mango or two to fall, and talked about where I will be living in the near future when I move out. There seems to be a few possible options :D We headed back (after getting water and soda bought for us by the drunk), ate, and played with her puppies. She also gave me a gift! A small fake rose inside of a clear plastic bulb. Her husband said that she always likes to get gifts for the teachers for the end of the year and since I am a part if the family now, they got one for me too :D Ugh. She didn't want me to leave but it looked like it was going to rain so I headed out. With a big, comfortable smile on my face.
Just as I arrived, Dulce was getting all dolled up with makeup and heels. I asked where she was going and she said abajo to buy some stuff. She asked if I wanted to go and I said yes, despite part of my screaming, "Ya! Enough today!" Haha we visited Moreno who was playing Dominoes (it was a very serious game), I saw Juana Iris, and then the grand adventure of trying to find plátanos began. We went to every colmado on this side of the thruway and ended up crossing asking everyone we saw who sold big plátanos haha. Four colmados later, we found them! And along the way, a ton of the neighborhood kids yelled my name! I hadn't been to that school much so that surprised me but man did it warm my heart. I will still admit that I'm so glad I don't live in that side though... Haha but I'll take a win for that feeling :) 
Back at the house, Eddi fixed the luz, and this puppy is currently charging as I type. 
Mañana holds a possibility for a trip to the river again which would make me really happy. And now that there is luz, I can wash my clothes (boy do I need that!). I looked around at the mountains and the dark clouds mixed with white ones as Dulce, Lili, and Niño walked across the Play and a quiet voice reminded me, "This is your home." And instead of freaking out like I probably would have two days ago, I took a deep breath and smiled.
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment