Monday, June 17, 2013

Magic River Water

June 16, 2013. This morning I hung out on my own for a bit. Then a girl about 13 years old (who is an absolute sweetheart which makes me feel so guilty never remembering her name) came by and brought me to her house. She lives waaaaay arriba by the mountains. So yea, remember when I said I thought I had seen pretty much all of my community? I lied again... Not many people live up there but the road just keeps going! And there's an absolutely gorgeous house that belongs to a farm owner (but like the others, doesn't live there). It's got three floors, a paved driveway, and a pool! I thought about how perfect it would be to do my running up there since it's hilly but also secluded and so tranquilo. Though the people here will probably tell me that it's too dangerous... We'll see :). 
We hung out with her family, I barely understood a word her father said (and they saw right through my fake "I totally understand what you're saying face." Damn), we explored their yard (which is breathtaking), and played dominoes. Of course, my feet and the mosquito bites were a topic of conversation once again but! Her father put some wood in a beat up paint can and started a smoke fire which he set near me. And se fueron the mosquitoes so long as the smoke was blowing towards me! It was such a wonderful release and the smell brought me comfort from the bonfires we would have in Alleghany, The Land, or our own backyard at home...
With plans to go to the river, I was able to leave without being forced to eat (for the third time by noon); although her mother tried hard to get me to stay (so hard that she ended up bringing food down to me tonight-which is now in my fridge). When I got back, they were all waiting for me haha. And early! Looks like the Dominican way is to always be late unless it's for the river!
I changed and we headed out (God my legs are so grossly white when walking with a group of Dominicans... It's been a while since I've worn shorts). We headed the back way through the woods with mud galore, through a few small rivers, under the thruway, and through a field of orange trees. Then slipping down a small cliff off to the right, we made it. It was beautiful and pretty damn deep. The guys dove from super high up in a tree and the two times I tried to swim to the bottom, I failed. Haha We were there for a few hours and it was a blast. Swimming, wrestling, eating fruit from the trees, jumping, having splash wars, etc. We made plans to go again Tuesday. I really hope that's true. On the walk back we got rained on, and when I say it was raining, it was more like down-pouring. We walked along the Duarte (pretty scary but quicker) as they sang Spanish songs. Here's one picture, but the rest are the girls being model-like (like they always do when the camera comes out...) which I'm not really a fan of haha The video of the guys jumping is pretty cool but I can't post that :( oh and random note, my feet look so much better after the river. Magic water that heals mosquito bites and brings joy to an emotional American? Yup, we're going again Tuesday.

I got back and changed since I was freezing (!!). Eddy and the drunk were working on something in the street in front of Dulce's house. Something with the water pipes I think but I'm not sure. I ate, hung out with Niño, went to Lucy's house briefly with Lili and then worked up the courage to go visit Mauela. I had told her at church on Friday that I would visit her today and I almost bailed... I really didn't want to go but I didn't want to have to explain why I didn't show up. So I went and it was alright. She fed me a donut and gross mango juice (how is that even possible??). There were many times I didn't understand her or her daughter and I could feel the frustration from them. When they raise their voice but still talk just as fast as before or say the exact same thing only louder, I'm not sure how that's supposed to help me understand... She also asked me how I'm supposed to meet people and get to know people if I never leave the house... That hit a nerve since it's exactly what I've been struggling with lately and I didn't need her telling me that (plus I told her at church that I had been in the capital and then pretty sick for a few days. Plus, how does she know I don't ever leave? I don't live near her and the times I have passed her house, she wasn't outside to see me anyways).  I decided to defend myself even though she was mostly right; but only out of luck. I told her I do leave; I see Dulce's family all the time (truth), I visited the pastor (or... tried to) and I visited Linda (truth) this week. She just nodded and said, "Ah, okay." Lol humph. On a good note, I did talk quite a bit, shared more about my history of education, Spanish knowledge, and family. Then having an excuse to leave (to call my father for Father's Day- ugh, thank you Dad! Haha), I headed out. 
I FaceTimed with my family until the luz went. Oddly enough though, we lost luz along with two other houses, but the street light was still on and so was luz at Samuelito's house. Looks like another wire problem. Eddy, our handyman! Come back! :P
Haha so it's one of those nights with nothing to do since no one can see anything lol. Entonces? Buenas noches. I should sleep so tomorrow I'll be well rested to hang out with Elba all day in Villa...
Oh one more thing (promise). I made these today too lol

Cucharas del Alfabeto!

No comments:

Post a Comment