Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mi Hermana!

June 14 & 15, 2013. The 14th wasn't a crazy good day so I'm combining blogs. I visited para arriba. Did literally nothing in a chair. Came back to my house and made a game called, "Barco con Cargo" or "Ship with Cargo" which will be for reading comprehension with the kiddos.
Mass was at the school where they talked about building an actual church in the community. But next week is the "the other side's turn" for mass lol. Apparently they switch. Dinner followed. The homemade coconut ice cream (mmmmm). Then I got to end skyping with Nate which was wonderful of course.
Today I arose a little before 9 (so incredibly lazy :D). Dulce bounced pretty quickly and said if I wanted to leave, she had her key. That was it. Exactly the kick in the ass I needed. I ate my sweet mush for breakfast outside and Ramona (older woman, not the teacher) came to visit for a moment. She said that she works everyday during the week until night so that's why I haven't seen her (perfect! Cuz I didn't try to visit... But she doesn't know that cuz she was at work! Haha I'm terrible...). She left, I swept a little (the other half of me trying to hard to stay put), I locked my bedroom door, and then the house door! And started walking...
Plan A? See if the pastor was home first. He lives the furthest away so if he wasn't there, I at least walked past a bunch of people and said hello to them all. Turns out he wasn't there haha. I got to eye the house I think I want to get when I can move out and headed back. Plan B? Linda. I walked down the muddy street to her part of the community and as I approached her house I heard, "Mi Hermana!!" Which means, "My sister!"  Ugh, so perfect. We hung out outside with her five baby puppies (she may or may not have said she was going to gift me one!!) and chatted. Then we went inside so I could watch her cook and learn and she offered to teach me more formally one time. Her 3 year old son talked my ear off and slide around on the wet, muddy floor naked. And I did a lot of puppy holding :D She fed me, of course, even after I tried explaining that Dulce would have food waiting for me at home haha. I also expressed my desire to learn more about the people that live around her (since it is so cut off from the rest of the community, I don't know anything about it) and the other side of the Duarte as well. She offered to show me around both! Progress in the right direction! What in the world would I do without my new sister?
I left around 1 (though I didn't want to) since my English class was at 2. Dulce hadn't cooked yet (THANK GOD) so I made 25 "About Me" sheets for the first day of classes so I can learn a little more about my kiddos. English class went well enough, more people showed up, and they didn't want it to end when I did haha. Afterwards we played cards, I gave them all suckers, and I got a bag of mangoes from one of the girls :D Fresh Fruit? Best gift ever in my book.
Dulce, Lili, and I headed para arriba and this visit wasn't so awkward, boring, or lonely. I sat outside with Fredito, Dulce, her mom, and Lili and we chatted. I saw a pig they're raising (probably for another slaughter! Yippee!), watched them grind coconut for Arepa (Mmmm), and ate my first pear in country Fredito got from a tree. We also made plans to go to a big river tomorrow on the other side of the Duarte! I'm so incredibly pumped to go swimming and appartently jump from a tree into the water :D 
I got home around 6 and ate what was supposed to be my lunch for dinner (second day in a row I've done that and I already miss my yuca :P) with Moreno. Then I got to Skype with my long lost friend Mike! I only had two friends for company during this session though lol. 
So now that I can hear you all at home saying, "I told you so" I can tell you to shut up. No, I didn't see anyone new but I ventured out and it was perfect. I think I need to plan days out in advance because when I had an idea of who to visit today since I'm visiting Manuela tomorrow, I seemed to have more courage or confidence as I locked the front door. So despite there never being any sort of agenda here, if I make one for myself, I feel better about it. Pues bien, I need to go to bed though I don't want to haha. Buenas noches.
Oh! And side note. The son of the director (from the other side) called tonight and I'm going to visit her Monday :/ and I had plans with Linda... Damn. Cross your fingers or say a prayer for me on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment