Monday, June 10, 2013

Un Rato

June 9, 2013. Today I woke up to Moreno fumbling around a lot. I came out and he was limping, and limping bad. He needed to hold onto the wall for strength and the scrunch of his face screamed of so much pain. He had been limping a little all last week but nothing like that. So most of the morning, I tried keeping Niño out of his hair while he rested. Dulce made some weird amazing corn mush for breakfast with scrambled eggs and something that tasted like beef jerky poured on top lol. I studied a bit, created a sheet where I can log my kiddos' progress for the summer classes, wrote a to do list for the capital tomorrow, etc. 
Lili came over and we headed up to the farm. One of the guys that worked there said we could come back and steal some more fruit :). But when we went no one was there and the guard dogs are gorgeously scary lol. So we hung out at a house nearby and I got to hold a three month old baby boy for a while. Ugh. Love. Eventually we got tired of waiting and we left. Lunch was ready by the time we got there and the girls played on my iPad. We had luz all day (:D) so the excuse of it needing to charge failed lol. Gotta come up with something else since I feel like some of them only come to see me cuz they want to play it :/. 
Afterwards, I laid down for a bit and nearly fell asleep. But 2 came super fast and I was supposed to meet Linda at her house. It started to rain though so I sat on the porch and waited. Dulce and Moreno left for the hospital in Villa right around then too which I was happy for. I'm worried about him. At 3 I headed out and woke Linda up from her nap-oops. Haha secretly I was super glad though because I wanted so badly to use the rain as an excuse for me not to go entirely but I forced myself out of the house and it paid off.
I met a ton more people and handed out the papers with the dates of the summer classes on them. I know where a lot more kids live and they now know me a bit more. We even went to the other side of the thruway because a few kids live there (this was a moment when my Spanish pissed me off because I was able to ask, "Why do kids cross the thruway still if there is a school on both sides?" But then couldn't understand Linda as she got real serious and answered...). I think I've officially seen the majority if not all of the streets on my side now. And I briefly saw the pastor again! Gotta visit him soon... :). Afterwards Linda asked if I was going home and again, part of me screamed "Yes!" But instead I said, "Well, I've got nothing to do.." So she invited me por abajo for un rato (which literally means a little while but here always means at least an hour or two lol just like un chin (literally-even less than a little) always means another full glass or bowl). We went to a colmado and she sold those hotdogs on a stick (remember those? I sure did). I saw lots more people including Juana Iris! I told her I was so sorry that I hadn't seen her but I have wanted to. She said she works everyday until night except for Sundays and that I shouldn't worry at all, she's super busy. That felt great to hear cuz I was worried she might be upset with me. I also met the drunk of KM59 (I think there's at least one in every campo) and another man I'm going to try and avoid. Juan José (third grader) also came around and kept trying to hide from me so I started playing around with him and would sneak up behind him to scare him. He'd just run off laughing hysterically and hide somewhere new. Have I mentioned yet that's it's always the kids that remind me why I'm here? 
Eventually her and I headed back to her house to see a movie. I saw Dulce on the way and she said Moreno was resting, got one shot pretty much in his butt and has three more to get. I didn't understand what exactly for though... Linda cooked me dinner and I got to watch and learn! I now know one way they make pasta here (hers is the best I've had yet) and tostones! Which are one of my favorite things here :). I hung out with her sons and we watched King Kong. At 8 my munchkin called so we chatted and then I told Linda I'd like to head home (she had to walk me since I can't do it alone here lol). It was pitch black out and the road back was so muddy. I think I managed to hit every puddle there was haha. She wanted to see pictures of my family and Nate so I showed her on the porch with Niño on my lap. And by the way, she raved about how beautiful my family is and how strong Nate looks ;). She's certainly right about both! My family called back which was something I needed lots (i seem to need a lot these days, huh) since it had been about a week and a half since we'd talked last (missed you Sammy). They said all the things I needed to hear and after tomorrow in the capital, I think I'll be ready for another week. Love you all and Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment